Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Taste of Fall

Fall is my favorite time of the year. Especially after a long, hot summer like this one. But fall is so much more than the anticipation of cooler weather. Fall is brightly colored leaves falling off the trees, windows open all day, long walks without breaking a sweat, afternoons at the park, apple picking, pumpkin pies, soups and stews for dinner, jackets and warm sweaters, my birthday, Thanksgiving, decorating for Christmas...I just can't wait!

These past two days we've had ridiculously cool weather for Virginia in August. Little Boy and I headed over to the park, and when the breeze blew through the playground and rustled those few leaves that fell early, I almost wished we had our jackets with us! For dinner, I just couldn't resist making our favorite sausage potato soup and pumpkin muffins, which we enjoyed sitting in the kitchen next to open windows. Oh, happy day!

I know that we most likely have several more warm (or hot) days ahead of us. I believe last year we were still wearing shorts some days in October. But for now I'm going to curl up on the couch next to an open window with a cup of hot tea and my book and enjoy this brief taste of fall.

Sausage & Potato Soup
2-3 Italian sausage links (sweet or spicy), removed from casing
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, sliced or chopped
2 cans chicken broth
2-3 potatoes, cubed
1 cup milk (2% or whole for best results)
2 cups baby spinach (or kale)
Italian cheese

Brown sausage in a stock pot. Add and saute onion, garlic, and carrots. Drain fat if necessary. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer until soft, 15-20 minutes. Mash potatoes in soup briefly with a potato masher. Add milk and spinach and simmer for 5-10 minutes until spinach has boiled down. Top individual bowls with cheese if desired. Best served with bread.

2 comments:

Art Teacher said...

Hi Beth, This is Carly...(from church on Sunday!) I found your blog through Josh's. I love fall too. When we were in FL, I used to decorate our house from top to bottom with fall decor and pumpkin smelling candles so we could feel like fall inside since it was still hot outside! We were cool last night too! I can't believe it's still August! Looking forward to hanging out with you guys tomorrow night!

susanna said...

This soup sounds yummy, Beth! I'm going to have to try it out on the boys...they are very fond of sausage. :) Hope you have a fantastic fall! love, Sue