Now, if you are anything like me, choosing a new toiletry is similar to deciding which college to attend or what house to buy. I have lost many hours of my life standing in beauty product aisles reading label after label, trying to decide exactly which new foundation, lotion, shampoo, etc, would fit me best. This annoying habit of mine has nothing to do with thinking highly of myself or even thinking that a certain beauty product would be the magic formula for all my beauty woes. No. The bottom line is that I detest change. Even small changes, like switching brands of face wash. But I've digressed. Moving on...
...so I'm in Target, looking for a new, gentler cleanser, and I start with Dove's unscented body wash. I'm reading the back of the bottle when I stumble across a line that reads something like this:
And you will enjoy the light fragrance of no scent.
What? The light fragrance of no scent? Does anyone else seen anything wrong with that statement? I start thinking that the statement must be a typo, but just in case, I peruse their list of ingredients, and lo and behold, right near the bottom, what do I see? Fragrance. Let me guess...insert sarcasm here...the fragrance of no scent?
So I put that bottle down and look at other "unscented" products, and sure enough, every single one, including the bars of soap, had fragrance or perfume in it. Now I'm no scientist here, but most people who are looking at unscented products (and the ones I sniffed smelled terrible, by the way) are actually looking for ones without the skin irritating perfume and fragrance. Or maybe that's just me?
Either way, I ditched the unscented products and ended up with the slightly more expensive but truly fragrance free Aveeno body wash. I guess stopping to read the labels actually does pay off now and then!
Oh, and buyers beware. Unscented does not equal fragrance free.

1 comment:
That's funny, Beth! I heard some executive from the Shaklee company say once that "CLEAN actually has no smell". It's funny how we associate certain smells with being clean. But true clean doesn't smell like anything. (I actually started buying Shaklee products after that :)
Post a Comment