Monday, October 6, 2008

Off to a Retreat

So Hubby, Little Boy, and I are off to a retreat in Williamsburg, VA for ministers and their families. I'm looking forward to the brief time away, to staying in a nice hotel, to not having to cook for three days, and, of course, to enjoying worship and hearing different speakers.

I expect Little Boy will be foregoing some sleep during these next few days, but between his naps and early bedtimes, I hope to have time to read while away. I stocked up books from the library this morning and now have them stowed safely in my suitcase.

Books I'm looking forward to reading while away: Among the Hidden, a Shadow Children book. I love children's lit, and my mom recently recommended that I read the Shadow Children series. Based on a futuristic world suffering from a supposed food crisis, families are only permitted to have two children. Third, fourth, fifth children are hidden away to escape serious consequences enforced by the Population Police. These children, shadow children, find each other, bind together, and set out to change their world. I'm excited to start reading!

(I also looked for Twilight by Stephanie Meyers and Brisinger by Christopher Paolini, but both had ridiculously long wait lists. I wonder what that says about the kind of children and youth lit I gravitate towards. Illegal, hidden children? Vampires? Dragons? Hmmm...)

Books I'm not looking forward to reading while away but need to read anyway: The No-Cry Potty Training Solution by Elizabeth Pantley and Mommy, I have to go potty! by Jan Faull. Yes, friends, we are entering the scary, uncharted waters of potty training! I can't say I'm that excited, but Little Boy passed both books' readiness quizzes with flying colors. What I want to know is...where are the mommy readiness quizzes? Because he might be ready but I'm certainly not! I'll keep you updated!

Be back in a couple of days!

1 comment:

~ Denise ~ said...

Well...then the big question remains...did you read any? ;)