Several months ago, during prayer time with my friend and her mother, I shared how tired and stressed I felt trying to manage my marriage, my little boy, the church plant, the little girl I nanny, and everything else life threw at me. Later my friend's mom told me that she once read that being a pastor's wife is one of the most stressful jobs, second only to an air traffic controller!
Since then I've learned that, among other responsibilities, an air traffic controller's job includes maintaining a safe and orderly flow of air traffic, moving all aircraft safely and efficiently through airspace and preventing mid-air collisions. An air traffic controller has one of the most difficult and stressful jobs today. In fact, their job is so stressful that a controller is only permitted to work two hours at a time before a break is required.
Maintaining an orderly flow of air traffic? Preventing mid-air collisions? Difficult and stressful? That describes my life perfectly! My main runways are Wife, Mom, Church Planter, and Nanny. The airplanes I oversee are Friend, Lover, Comforter, Nurse, Childcare Provider, Teacher, House Keeper, Landscaper, Financial Manager, Administrative Assistant, Ministry Coordinator, and more that I'm too tired to think of!
So now, whenever my responsibilities start piling up, I stop and laugh about how much my life really does resemble that of an air traffic controller. If they can do it, so can I! As far as having a mandatory break every two hours, I wish!
Can anyone else relate?
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Great analogy, Beth! Does it count if you avoid MOST mid-air collisions? :) I guess you can add the "Blogger" runway to your portfolio. Great to hear your thoughts...
Lora Batterson
I feel overwhelmed and don't have half as much happening as you do! Wow. I like the analogy of the air-traffic controller...makes a lot of sense. :)
This is great! Try adding another little person to the mix as well, there are a TON of crashes for me now:)
Welcome to the blogosphere, Beth!
Post a Comment